Friday, August 15, 2014

Do Something

I can't tell you how many times a week I hear the words Why did you volunteer yourself for that? 

"You just VOLUNTEERED to help with the kids choir on Wednesdays when you could drop her off and go home?" 

"Why didn't you just have the meeting at a coffee shop instead of having to clean your house and cook?" 

"Why do you get to school so early? Why do you stay past 3:15?"

"Why can't someone else do that?"

"Didn't you already cook for them last month?"

"Don't they have people to do that?"


Most of the time I feel very stressed and run ragged, so sometimes these comments make me think to myself "Well, maybe they're right." But they're not. Perhaps they don't feel led to lead or contribute in any way, and that's okay. Not every one can do something or even wants to.... but I can, and I do. And that doesn't make me a crazy person. I listen to K-Love on the way to school in the mornings, and this song comes on at least every other day, and every time it does I turn that volume up and let 'er loose.


I woke up this morning
Saw a world full of trouble now
Thought, how’d we ever get so far down
How’s it ever gonna turn around
So I turned my eyes to Heaven
I thought, “God, why don’t You do something?”
Well, I just couldn’t bear the thought of
People living in poverty
Children sold into slavery
The thought disgusted me
So, I shook my fist at Heaven
Said, “God, why don’t You do something?”
He said, “I did, I created you

If not us, then who
If not me and you
Right now, it’s time for us to do something
If not now, then when
Will we see an end
To all this pain
It’s not enough to do nothing
It’s time for us to do something

I’m so tired of talking
About how we are God’s hands and feet
But it’s easier to say than to be
Live like angels of apathy who tell ourselves
It’s alright, “somebody else will do something”
Well, I don’t know about you
But I’m sick and tired of life with no desire
I don’t want a flame, I want a fire
I wanna be the one who stands up and says,
“I’m gonna do something”


If not us, then who
If not me and you
Right now, it’s time for us to do something
If not now, then when
Will we see an end
To all this pain
It’s not enough to do nothing
It’s time for us to do something

We are the salt of the earth
We are a city on a hill
But we’re never gonna change the world
By standing still




So yes, I'm going to cook a hot meal for that new mother, and I'm going to volunteer to bring cookies to the Women on a Mission meeting. I'm going to be on the PTA and allow myself to be volunteered to decorate the stage for my child's K3 Chapel Program. I'm going to give out school supplies to needy children and keep snacks in my desk drawer for kids who are constantly starving. 

Those things might not exactly be equivalent to adopting a child from China or putting an end to world hunger, but they are things that I can do to make a difference. A difference is a difference, no matter how small. God has convicted me to be a servant, not just to Him but to others. I'm going to do something.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...