Monday, July 13, 2015

Whole 30

Last summer I started working out with a personal trainer. So between 45 minutes of spin, 45 minutes of boot camp, and 1 hour of PT, I was working out 2-3 hours almost every day. In July my entire family went to Mexico to see my brother marry his beloved. Of course we ate like kings the entire week and had the best time. When we returned, I just kind of kept eating whatever I wanted. I continued to work out, but I had gained about 5 pounds by the time school started. I sort of got back on track once I was back into the routine of school, but then play season hit and we had play practice nearly every day. That meant lots of Walker's runs and getting by on convenient snacks.

By the time Christmas rolled around, I had surpassed my "Woah Nelly" number. You know... everybody has that one number on the scale that means "It's all gonna be okay until you go over that number." And I had done went over it... Like went over it by 10-12 pounds. I hovered there - losing 5 pounds, gaining 3, losing 1, gaining 2, losing 4, gaining 2 - until the end of the school year. YES. I went an entire school year without doing much about it.

As you've read in a previous post, June is CRAZY for us. So I didn't really have much opportunity to work out. Several friends were doing Whole30, and their food looked so delicious! I had tried the Advocate 24 day challenge before (twice) and hated it. The food isn't bad, but there are so. many. pills. I asked several friends for some Whole30 recipes and tips, and I decided at 8pm on a Thursday evening that I was going to start the very next day. And I did.

Here's what happened...

DAY 1:
Breakfast - 3 eggs
Lunch - Chicken salad with avocado, cilantro, tomato, and onion with a side salad and Tessemae's Green Goddess dressing + honey crisp apple
Dinner - Flat iron steak with a side of "cereal" (pineapple, banana, unsweetened coconut + coconut milk)
*The first time I tried unsweetened coconut, I thought it was disgusting. But now that I haven't had anything with added sugar in 31 days, it tastes like the sweetest thing in the world!

DAY 2:
Breakfast - Broccoli Spinach Frittata
Lunch - Salad with steak, avocado, tomato, onion, bell pepper, raw almonds, mandarin oranges, and strawberries with Tesserae's Lemon Garlic dressing
Dinner - Flat iron steak with mixed vegetables + oranges and strawberries

Frittata

Salad

Steak and veggies

DAY 3:
Breakfast - Broccoli Spinach Frittata + banana
Lunch - Steak with steamed vegetables
Dinner - Honeycrisp apple with organic, raw peanut butter* + pineapple and mango
*I did not realize peanuts are a legume, so I wasn't supposed to eat this. I actually ate it several times, but it didn't seem to bother me.


NOTE: The first day was fine. Days 2 and 3 I wanted to die. Coming off of sugar is like coming of a seriously hard drug. You're literally getting a toxic chemical out of your body. I had a migraine for 2 days. Days 4-6 I just wanted to kill all the things. After that, easy peasy!

DAY 4:
Breakfast - Tropical smoothie (pineapple, spinach, mango, etc.)
Lunch - Broccoli Spinach Frittata + honey crisp apple
Snack - Larabar (I had been dancing at play practice all day and was starving)
Dinner - Fajita salad with flat iron steak, onions, peppers, olives and guacamole + oranges and grapes

DAY 5:
Breakfast - 2 organic eggs + tropical smoothie
Lunch - Chicken salad with grapes, red onion, raw almonds, and paleo mayonnaise
Dinner - Chipotle pork with pineapple cole slaw + honey crisp apple with organic peanut butter

Paleo Mayo

Chicken Salad

Chipotle pork with pineapple slaw

DAY 6:
Breakfast - Broccoli Spinach Frittata + grapefruit
Lunch - Fajita salad + broccoli + honeycrisp apple
Dinner - Grilled chicken, 1/4 white potato, brussel sprouts, cucumber salad, peaches + strawberries

Fajita Salad with broccoli

Grilled chicken, sprouts, potato, cucumber salad

DAY 7:
Breakfast - Broccoli Spinach Frittata + banana
Lunch - Chipotle pork with guacamole + honey crisp apple with peanut butter
Dinner - Smoked turkey breast + fruit salad

While my husband and kids were eating hot dogs, cookies, chips, and ice cream after the VBS commencement, I was eating this.

DAY 8:
Breakfast - Sweet potato hash with 2 organic eggs
Lunch - Chicken salad with grapes, red onion, raw almonds, and paleo mayonnaise + blueberries and strawberries
Dinner - Chipotle pork with guacamole + brussel sprouts + broccoli + fruit salad (cantaloupe, peach, watermelon)

Sweet potato hash - my FAVORITE

DAY 9: FATHER'S DAY
Breakfast - Sweet potato hash with 2 organic eggs and broccoli
Lunch - Ribs, green beans, squash + peach and nectarine
Dinner - Chipotle pork with guacamole + Brussel sprouts + fruit salad (pineapple, mango, watermelon)

Ribs, green beans, squash (Father's Day)

DAY 10:
Breakfast - Sweet potato hash with 2 organic eggs
Lunch - Smoked turkey breast, brussel sprouts, fruit salad (mango, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe)
Dinner - Pizza Hut salad bar topped with smoked turkey and Tessemae's dressing + banana and apple

Pizza Hut salad

DAY 11:
Breakfast - Sweet potato hash with 2 organic eggs
Lunch - Smoked turkey breast + tomato slices + mango
Dinner - 12 count Chick-Fil-A* grilled nuggets + fruit cup
*I checked the ingredients, and these do have some sugar... but we were out and I didn't have a choice.

DAY 12:
Breakfast - "Monkey" salad (cantaloupe, mango, orange, blueberries, unsweetened coconut flakes, and raw almonds)
Lunch - Deconstructed BLT with sautéed vegetables + watermelon
Dinner - 1 orange + honey crisp apple with organic peanut butter

Monkey Salad

Deconstructed BLT with sautéed veggies

DAY 13: BEACH
Breakfast - Unsweetened applesauce with raisins
Lunch - Smoked turkey breast, avocado, tomato slices, and a peach
Dinner - Grilled swordfish, asparagus, salad with oil and vinegar

Salad at Cobalt

Swordfish at Cobalt

DAY 14: BEACH
Breakfast - Yukon gold potato, sausage, 2 eggs, banana
Lunch - Roasted chicken, guacamole, grapes
Dinner - Red snapper, guacamole, sautéed vegetables, fruit (watermelon, orange, strawberries)

Red Snapper at LuLu's

DAY 15: BEACH
Breakfast - Yukon gold potato, sausage, 2 eggs, strawberries and peaches
Lunch - Roasted chicken, guacamole, and red bell pepper slices
Dinner - Steamed shrimp, tomato slices, 2 small red potatoes + apple and organic peanut butter

DAY 16: BEACH
Breakfast - Yukon gold potato, sausage, 2 eggs, watermelon
Lunch - Roasted chicken, guacamole, and red bell pepper slices + grapes
Dinner - Grilled scallops, shrimp and swai fish + cucumber salad + fruit (peach, strawberries, orange)

Grilled shrimp, scallops, and saw with cucumber salad

DAY 17:
Breakfast - Yukon gold potato, sausage, 2 eggs
Lunch - 12 count grilled CFA nuggets + fruit cup
Dinner - Fruit plate (cherries, apple with PB, banana, pineapple, raw almonds)

DAY 18:
Breakfast - Ants on a Log (Celery stalks with PB and raisins)
Lunch - Chicken salad with paleo mayo, onion, celery, pineapple, peaches, and raw nuts
Dinner - Chicken breast strips, "fried" okra, sweet potato fries

DAY 19:
Breakfast - Sautéed mushrooms and spinach with 2 eggs
Lunch - Spinach and spring mix salad with raw almonds, strawberries, blueberries, chicken and cherries
Dinner - Chicken breast strips, "fried" okra, broccoli, carrots, and peaches

 
Chicken, broccoli and carrots, okra, peaches

DAY 20:
Breakfast - "Monkey" salad (orange, pineapple, blueberries, banana, raw almonds, unsweetened coconut)
Lunch - Spinach and spring mix salad with raw almonds, strawberries, blueberries, and chicken 
Dinner - Ribeye steak, steamed vegetables

Salad

DAY 21: MY BIRTHDAY
Breakfast - Sautéed mushrooms and spinach with 2 eggs
Lunch - Lemon garlic shrimp with mashed garlic cauliflower + banana
Dinner - Ribeye steak, 1/3 russet potato, tomato slices, shrimp salad + watermelon

Eggs with spinach and mushrooms

30th Birthday Dinner

DAY 22: 4TH OF JULY
Breakfast - Apple with raw almond butter
Lunch - Blackened tilapia with steamed broccoli + grapes
Dinner -  Lemon garlic shrimp with mashed garlic cauliflower + broccoli and carrots + pineapple and peaches

Tilapia and broccoli from Captain D's

Lemon Garlic Shrimp with cauliflower mash

DAY 23:
Breakfast - "Faux"-tmeal with apples
Lunch - 2 organic eggs with mashed garlic cauliflower + broccoli and carrots + watermelon
Dinner -  2 organic eggs with sautéed vegetables + apple with almond butter

"Faux"-tmeal

Brinner: eggs, sautéed veggies, sausage (didn't eat the sausage)

DAY 24:
Breakfast - "Monkey" salad (peach, pineapple, blueberries, unsweetened coconut, raw almonds)
Lunch - Apple + ants on a log
Dinner -  Savory chicken casserole + cherries

DAY 25:
Breakfast - 2 eggs, yukon gold potato, roasted chicken
Lunch - Savory chicken casserole + grapes
Dinner -  Savory chicken casserole + watermelon and blueberries

 
Savory chicken casserole. OMG. So good. Loved it.
DAY 26:
Breakfast - Pineapple spinach smoothie
Lunch - Apple + ants on a log
Dinner -  Savory chicken casserole + cherries

DAY 27:
Breakfast - Pineapple spinach smoothie
Lunch - Chicken breast with avocado and fruit
Dinner - Savory chicken casserole + fruit

DAY 28:
Breakfast - 2 organic eggs with fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
Lunch - Salad with mandarin oranges, slivered almonds, and roasted chicken breast
Dinner - Caprese salad, steak, guacamole/cucumber/tomato salad on top of arugula, fruit (watermelon and pineapple)

Caprese salad (mine's the one without mozzarella)

DAY 29:
Breakfast - 2 organic eggs + apple with raw almond butter
Lunch - Grilled chicken breast with Idaho and sweet potato hash + fresh fruit
Dinner - Steak + fresh fruit

 
Grilled chicken and hash at Fido in Nashville

DAY 30:
Breakfast - Veggie omelet with bacon + fresh fruit
Lunch - Grilled shrimp and onions with guacamole and pico
Dinner - Fruit (apple, grapes, cherries)

Omelet at Pancake Pantry

Grilled shrimp and onions at Mi Casita

I was able to lose a few pounds before I started Whole30. I've lost 14 pounds overall (since May) and 8 of those are just from the Whole30. I realize that I probably ate too much fruit during my 30 days, but I honestly don't care. Fruit is my favorite, and I'm so much healthier than I was a month ago that I'm not going to harp on that. Here are my takeaways:

1) You CAN do it. Yes, you can. I'm telling you that you can. YOU CAN.

2) Don't give up in the first week. Power through.

3) What you put into your body is IMPORTANT. I no longer have aspartame or caffeine headaches. I don't feel lethargic and slow. My mind is clear. I don't feel gross after meals. I'm rested. I'm happier.

4) You can eat out. Don't be scared.

5) There will NEVER be a time when there isn't something fun or important going on. Everyone will say to pick a time to start your journey when there won't be any celebrations or activities or temptations, but for me that doesn't exist. During the last 30 days alone we had Father's Day, VBS with a room full of delicious treats every day, a trip to the beach, my 30th birthday, Independence Day, and a trip to Nashville. Just do it.

6) Surround yourself with positive encouragement. None of my family did Whole30, but everyone was cheering me on.

7) Pinterest is your best friend. See my Whole30/Paleo board here.

8) You might mess up (like me and peanut butter). It's okay. Move on.


After 30 days you're supposed to start reintroducing foods every few days. For example, Day 1 introduce dairy then wait 2 days and see if it bothers you. Day 4 introduce legumes then wait 2 days. Day 7 introduce non-gluten grains then wait 2 days. Day 10 introduce gluten-containing grains then wait 2 days.

Well, I woke up this morning and wasn't really sure what I wanted to add... so I just made a Whole30 breakfast like normal. With lunch, I decided to introduce dairy so I dipped a few pieces of my salad into full fat, amazingly delicious homemade ranch (totaling maybe 1 TB)... and for dinner I'll add yogurt.

DAY 31:
Breakfast - 2 organic eggs + sautéed spinach and broccoli
Lunch - 1 piece grilled catfish + side salad
Dinner - Honeycrisp apple with raw almond butter + yogurt

Eggs with spinach and broccoli

I encourage you to start paying attention to what you put into your body. You will feel so much better and have natural energy. I'm not saying to NEVER indulge in pizza or ice cream... Lord knows I will. But I'm hoping this has changed something within me forever. And my biggest hope is that my kids will notice that I eat healthily and I'm not just telling them to eat broccoli while I'm scarfing down pasta.

I did not exercise during my Whole30. I wanted to concentrate on how changing my diet made me feel all by itself. I'll incorporate exercise next month when I'm back in school. I also did not weigh myself. That's a pretty strict Whole30 rule. The important thing is not how much weight you lose but how you feel. Are you more regular in your bathroom habits? Are you well rested? Are you less irritable? Are you less bloated? Have you completely lost all cravings? The answer to all of these questions will most definitely be YES. And feeling good is the most important thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...